I love Pinterest! I especially love pinning food to feed my family and food to feed my sweet tooth in hopes of some day trying all the recipes I pin for my family, friends, and self. All the pictures look so yummy and most of them even look pretty simple, or so I think!!
Recently I have tried a few Pinterest recipes with such high hopes to be utterly disappointed with my results. They do not turn out like the pictures people post or are not as simple as they seem! Am I the only one with this problem?! What is wrong with me??
For the 4th of July I wanted to make simple Brownie and Fruit Skewers. The directions are in the title… stick some brownies and fruit on a skewer and EAT! How hard can it be?! Well, this was my my attempt:
^^#fail! The brownies were too soft and gooey to stay on the skewers. I know most people would say that is definitely not a #fail, but for this dessert it was a fail overall. The brownies kept falling a part, leaving the skewers brownie-less!
This was my second attempt at the dessert:
^^Yes, this attempt including through all the ingredients on a plate! #desperate I think it was still a hit because the plate was close to empty at the end of the party. At least, all the brownies were gone!!
Brownie & Fruit Skewers Recipe
What you’ll need:
1. 1 box of brownie mix
2. 1 pint of blueberries
3. 2 pints of strawberries
4. 1 bag of large marshmallows
5. 25 wooden skewers
What you’ll do:
1. Bake the brownies according to the recipe on the box, using a 9 x 9 baking pan to make the brownies thicker. Bake the brownies until fully cooked in the middle (no gooey-ness).
2. Let the brownies completely cool. Stick the brownies in the refrigerator to harden, after they have cooled.
3. Wash all the fruit.
4. Cut the tops off of the strawberries.
5. Cut the brownies into 2'” x 2” squares.
6. Assemble the skewers in a random order of fruit, marshmallows and brownies.
Other Ideas: These are festive for Memorial Day or the 4th of July parties, but can be interchanged with other fruit to be enjoyed throughout the year!
See one of my few recent Pinterest recipe successes here.
I will be posting how we celebrated the 4th a bit later! It did involve more than me getting mad at my Pinterest recipe!