When I asked Geoff what kind of birthday cake he wanted this weekend, he quickly replied, “fruit pizza!” Seriously?! That’s not a cake! He pleaded and begged over and over for it and since it's his birthday I decided to make it. My idea for a birthday cake would definitely include (or be made mostly of) rich, sugary frosting but he would HATE this (great idea for a later post… we are about as opposite as you can get). As I was finally making the fruit pizza on Sunday he was like a giddy child in a toy store. He could barely wait for me to finish it before digging in.
Fruit Pizza Recipe
By: Tory Palivoda (my mother)
What you’ll need:
1. 1 1/2 tubes of premade sugar cookie dough (one tube really is just not enough).
2. 8 ounces cream cheese
3. 1/4 cup powdered sugar
4. 12 ounces of cool whip
5. A variety of fruit for toppings – kiwi, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, mandarin oranges, pineapple, grapes, etc.
What you’ll do:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Lightly spray a cookie sheet, including all the edges, with nonstick spray.
3. Spread premade tube of sugar cookie dough onto sheet. The dough will be thin.
4. Bake for 8-11 minutes, or until lightly brown. Let cool completely.
5. Mix cream cheese, powered sugar and cool whip together.
6. Spread mixture onto cooled cookie crust.
7. Arrange fruit of your choice. Enjoy!
I do have to admit, it is very good. Geoff was adamant I used my mother’s recipe. Whenever she takes this dish to a party or picnic she always brings two because they are usually the first items gone! Enjoy this yummy, sweet summer treat!!